Thursday, May 6, 2010

Viru Sehwag would ride a LML VESPA !! - Interview Excerpts



I have already lost half my hair; I don’t want to lose the rest contemplating who is saying what about my technique.”

It is this simplicity which defines Virender Sehwag on and off the field. After a gruelling practice session at the new look Ferozeshah Kotla before the IPL semi final, we found Viru, as he is affectionately called, in a reflective mood.

Going back in time, his partner in the Kotla journey used to be Ashish Nehra.
“After the first Ranji season I bought an LML Vespa. Whoever rode pillion had to handle the heavy kits.”


Viru, who still lugs his own kit bag, says it surprises him how young players ask others to carry their kits.
"You have to respect your equipment. It is this equipment which makes your sporting life."
Well-deserved

Today Viru drives a BMW. “I could have bought it three or four seasons back but I believed I didn’t deserve it then. So I continued driving my Santro. I firmly believe in living a life you deserve notwithstanding your bank-balance. This helps in concentrating on the career.”

It sounds like propagating old world values, but this is the way the Nawab of Najafgarh has become what he is. “I came from a joint family and my father was a grain merchant. My father gave me a free hand till I completed my graduation. After that he expected me to join his business. But before completing graduation, I was playing international cricket. From the beginning I knew that if I continue playing well nobody can stop me. Money would come my way automatically if I excelled at cricket. A semi-urban background or lack of English speaking skills never gave me any complex because these things don’t matter on the ground.” 

Source - http://www.4jat.com/jat_community_article.asp?jat_community=510

No comments:

Post a Comment